WIZA Barrel Project
10-09-2017, 04:50 PM (This post was last modified: 10-24-2017 09:25 AM by Terry.)
Bug WIZA Barrel Project
Barrel Status: ~ 40 Gallons

Background
Whidbey Island Zymurgy Association’s Barrel Project uses our 55 gallon M+ French Oak barrel sourced from a winery in California.  The barrel is filled with beer home brewed in small batches by the community of WIZA members.  This Flanders Red Ale is aged in the barrel until pulled for sampling or pours.  

The current run of Flanders Red is brewed from the club recipe and fermented in primary with wild yeast harvested from a bottle of Lost Abbey's 2013 box set. After primary, the beer will be transferred to the barrel and aged.  Contributors will be credited with tokens to draw off aged beer at any time in the future the tap is open for pours.  Announcements regarding dates for sampling, for opening the barrel for pours, or other barrel events will be made on this web page and/or the club's facebook page.

More Information
On Saturday Feb 19, 2017 we emptied the last 20 gallons of beer from the barrel, cleaned out the remaining trub, and inoculated the wood with active fermenting yeast.

50 gallons of new wort are currently in post-primary fermentation.  The beer will be transferred to the barrel and aged for an extended secondary.

The next sample date is TBD.  At that time, WIZA members will have the opportunity to taste the beer and vote to open the barrel for token-redeemable pours or to let the beer continue aging.

Official Recipe
Flanders Red
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-24-2017, 09:27 AM
RE: WIZA Barrel Project
Jeremy and I partially filled the barrel and I have since made more of the Flanders recipe. I will need help transferring the rest into the barrel soon.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply